It’s there. You see it everyday. Almost unmistakable. Something about that look in your child’s face screams of fatigue — not just the physical, but more importantly the emotional.
He is clearly stressed-out — and worse, for all the wrong reasons.
Your gut tells you that he isn’t exactly perfect fit for traditional school, but the risk-averse side of you wins the mental struggle — you push him harder and tell yourself (and your child), ‘it gets better’.
But instead, it gets worse. Everyday. It gets more and more stressful for your child, yourself — the entire family.
You don’t have to go through unnecessary stress.
It may be time to consider that highly-debated (and sometimes dreaded) ‘H’ word — Homeschooling.
What are the telltale signs that suggest that your child may be better off and even excel in homeschooling as opposed to traditional schools?
1. Your child’s safety/health is continuously under attack in school.
2. Your child learns better and faster on his own than with peers.
3. Your child is mentally/intellectually advanced yet not emotionally ready for cooperative learning in a traditional school setting.
4. Either/both parents are full-time homemakers (work-at-home setting) and the parent/s enjoy teaching their child.
5. You have a strong conviction that traditional schools only amplify your child’s inequities and diminish his innate abilities.
If you see your child’s situation meeting most if not all of these signs, then snap out of your ‘denial state’, accept the fact that not all kids are created equal and that the best education he can get is from the teacher from whom he came from, and learned much about the world in the first place — his parents.
If there’s no legal impediment to homeschool, then it must be good — for your child, your family — the country.
Beware though, homeschooling — while an attractive idea and system — is not for every family. Much preparation, research and commitment must be done in order to successfully homeschool a growing child. But don’t fret, homeschooling and its wondrous rewards is God’s gift to parents and families who are up for the exciting challenge. Because more than an alternative form of education, it is a privilege (because of time/circumstantial reasons) only a few can enjoy.
Whether you choose to homeschool your child or not, at the end of the day, we all just want our kids to grow up happy and fulfilled in a safe and nurturing environment — and isn’t that what home is? :)
- Homeschooling is an Investment (thehappyhousewife.com)
- Homeschool Videos From Rising Stars (thejourneymom.com)
- Research on Academic Success and Socialization of Homeschooled Students (brighthub.com)
- Homeschooling Methods (socyberty.com)
- Free Materials for Homeschooling (brighthub.com)
- Homeschoolers don’t quit…they evolve (momblognetwork.com)